Why is healthy skin and hair important?
Apart from affecting our mood and confidence, healthy skin and hair represents a healthy internal body. So often we only start to notice issues with our health when the affect something visible to another person. Whilst headaches, pms, digestive disorders can easily be hidden from others, skin and hair issues often bring our health concerns to the forefront. Hair and Skin are an essential part of our bodies that many people spend hours and hundreds of pounds caring for. Unfortunately there are times when products and time are just not giving us the results that we are looking for and we know intuitively there is more going on internally. Our bodies are amazing survival beings and when we are experiencing stress, eating poorly or not sleeping well the body knows to priortise the main organs and systems of the body. If the body had a choice it would ensure the heart, lungs, kidneys etc are in working order than make sure our skin is bright or hair is strong. It is therefore not uncommon to notice hair and skin symptoms first before any other conditions. What is great of course is that although it can be really distressing it can allow us to start taking our health more seriously and doing the deeper work that we need to.
There are a number of causes to poor hair and skin health these include
- Digestion – back to the root of many issues is digestion, if we are not digesting our food well it means we are not able to assimilate the nutrients from our food, it also means that there is an increase in undigested food material in the gut, something that Ayurveda explains in the root cause of a number of hair and skin conditions.
- Food sensitivity – Along with poor digestion the gut can become sensitive to certain foods, often these reactions can be noted on our skin. If we eat something that does not agree with us, some people immediately come up in a rash or develop spots.
- Nutrient deficiency – If we are not eating a wide variety of nutrients then our bodies do not have the surplus amounts required to nourish our skin and hair, they also are unable to clear out toxic material and this can cause poor skin and hair health.
- Toxic overload – Environmental toxins, chemical toxins, toxins on our foods, smoking, alcohol can all increase the toxic load of our body. If we are unable to eliminate these toxins this can create deficiency in nutrients, can slow down our livers process, reduce the availability of antioxidants and thereby cause poor skin and hair.
- Hormonal dysfunction – thyroid, insulin, cortisol, testosterone, estrogen are just some of the hormones that can affect our hair and skin. If we have imbalances in any of these then the symptoms will be visible.
- Dehydration – lack of water is one of the key elements of poor health, especially for the skin and the hair. Good water supply keeps our skin supple and helps flush toxins from our system.
- Poor sleep – When our skin looks tired one of the first things someone will say is are your tired? Did you not sleep well? Poor sleep shows on our faces quite quickly and ensuring we are getting not only the right amount of sleep but good quality sleep is essential.
- Auto immune – some of these conditions may actually be stemming from auto immune reaction which would need further exploration as to the cause of the deranged immune response.
Treatment - So what can you do?
Whether you are experiencing mild initial symptoms or have been diagnosed with a skin/hair condition the key to restoring your health is to identify what is CAUSING this pathology within YOUR body system. By assessing your health during a health history consultation Anuja will begin to piece together your puzzle and identify the key areas of support that your unique body physiology requires. No 2 individuals with the same illness have the same treatment program as each of us are unique beings with a unique story that led us to our current health state. Only by understanding that unique pathology can we truly address the root cause of your condition. In clinic we often suggest further laboratory work to provide us with data to help pin point the key areas of work. Depending on your specific presentation we may look at tests for certain nutrients, gut health, hormonal health, detoxification health. During this program you will be guided with
- Personalised dietary changes
- Ways to optimise nutrient intake and absorption
- Lifestyle changes to support optimal hair and skin
- Support with your mental and emotional health if required using meditation and yoga
- Herbs that may support your hair and skin, including handmade balms and oils
- Dietary supplements